Tips on how to use the PS5’s M.2 SSD expandable storage
Sony has began beta testing the primary software program replace for the PS5 in the present day, and it contains M.2 SSD expandable storage assist. The long-awaited function is accessible for testers proper now and can launch on all PS5 consoles later this yr. We’ll want to check a wide range of drives with the PS5, however proper now Sony requires a minimum of a PCIe Gen4 SSD, with a minimal capability of 250GB. Sony can be recommending a drive able to 5,500MB/s, however slower Gen4 drives should be supported.
I’ve examined Corsair’s Drive MP600 (2TB) with the PS5, which has decrease learn speeds (4,950MB/s) than Sony recommends, and a colleague confirmed a Sabrent Rocket (500GB, rated at 5,000MB/s) appears to just do effective as properly. It’s very straightforward to get all of it up and operating in lower than two minutes. Right here’s the way it all works:
- To make use of the expandable storage within the PS5, you’ll must take away the facet panels from the console. Be sure to’ve unplugged the ability twine, after which observe this actually helpful YouTube video on learn how to take away the facet panels accurately. It’s a bit of fiddly, however the PS5 is sturdy, so don’t fear you’re not going to snap the panels.
- When you’ve eliminated each panels, you’ll want to find the M.2 SSD slot. It’s on the left-hand facet of the fan; that’s on the facet the place the PS5’s disc drive resides. You’ll want a screwdriver to unscrew the duvet on the M.2 SSD slot, and to take away a screw that fixes your drive into place.
- As soon as the duvet has been eliminated, you’ll discover a black screw that Sony has equipped on the very prime contained in the slot. Unscrew this and use it to carry your SSD into place. Sony recommends utilizing an M.2 SSD with a heatsink, so in case you’ve bought a Gen4 one with out one, there are a selection of heatsinks you should purchase to affix to SSDs that can assist with cooling.
- Now that the M.2 SSD is in place, you’ll be able to put the duvet again on the slot after which gently slide the facet panels again into place on both facet. Reconnect the ability twine, and boot up your PS5.
- In case your M.2 SSD isn’t suitable, you’ll be met with a warning out of your PS5 that you just want a Gen4 drive with a minimum of 256GB of house. In any other case, you’ll must go forward and format the drive to be used on the PS5. Be sure to’ve backed up any information on the drive in case you’ve been utilizing it in different methods.
- Formatting took lower than 10 seconds on my Corsair Drive MP600 (2TB) drive. As soon as formatting has been accomplished, the PS5 will rapidly take a look at the drive pace and warn you that in case you have points with a recreation put in on the M.2 SSD, strive transferring it to the inner storage.
- You possibly can then freely transfer put in video games over to the M.2 SSD storage, or set up new video games from the PlayStation Retailer on to the storage. Throughout testing, it took round 30 seconds to maneuver Ratchet & Clank: Rift Aside from the inner storage to the Corsair Drive MP600 Professional (2TB) drive.
Sony’s new PS5 M.2 SSD assist is in beta, so we’re nonetheless ready to listen to from SSD producers about all of the drives supported. Seagate is the primary to substantiate FireCuda 530 drives are suitable with the PS5, and we’ve examined each Corsair’s Drive MP600 and this Sabrent Rocket to substantiate they work simply effective on the PS5 (albeit with out the heatsink hooked up). We’ll have extra particulars on supported drives as and when producers affirm their listing of SSDs.
Replace, 4:01PM ET: Added first-hand affirmation that the Sabrent Rocket Gen 4 works as properly.